Tinctures are stronger and more effective than other herbal remedies. Vodka tinctures are not heated to extract the medicinal properties from the plants. The liquid breaks down the plants’ properties and preserves them without killing any of the medicinal properties. This makes a more potent herbal medicine.
Here is how to make your own tinctures: You will need herbs, vodka, and a glass canning jar with a lid.
1. Fill clean jar one third full with dried herbs. Choose herbs for the desired remedy.
2. Add vodka to one inch from top of jar.
3. Screw lid on tightly. Cover with a dark cloth and put in cabinet, away from light.
4. Shake 4 to 7 times a week. You will see the vodka growing darker in color as the herbs break down and make the tincture. The tincture needs to sit at least 3 weeks. You can let it sit up to six months, but after this time the vodka will have extracted all the medicinal properties from the herbs.
5. When you are ready to pour your tincture up, you can use a cheesecloth or a clean cotton cloth to strain the herbs from the tincture. Holding the cloth, with herbs inside, squeeze all the liquid out, then discard the used herbs.
6. Pour tincture liquid into a dark glass bottle and close tightly with a lid. Keep in a dark, cool place.